Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Nuffield Experience

My last Nuffield trip is now in the books; the suitcase is unpacked and life is slowly returning to normal.  Writing my report and presenting at the Nuffield Canada AGM in November are all that is left to do to complete my Nuffield requirements.  While a Nuffield journey never really ends, this first important stage is almost over.  I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this new reality.  It has been such a big part of life for the past 24 months (almost exactly 2 years since I got the call).  A Nuffield scholarship is not about the research, or the miles logged, the meetings taken or the ability to cram as much in as possible.  It’s about visiting people and places not as a tourist but as a friend.  It’s focus is talking with people and learning from them rather than just racking stats up on a tally sheet (for those who are curious I am still compiling stats) and it honestly is the best way to get to know all that is great about a country. 

Nuffield is also a community.  I have experienced this first hand.  The Nuffield International community is like nothing I have seen or heard of before.  It amazed me time and time again how people I didn’t know, would drop everything to show me around for a few days and usually on the drop of a dime.  It was based on nothing but an email and the mention of the magic word….Nuffield.  Many of them went above and beyond just showing me around, they invited me into their homes, gave me the keys to their truck and have shown me the time of my life.  It is amazing.  Truly awe inspiring and humbling.  

One question plaguing me on my travels time and time again.  How do I repay something like this?  There is no way in the moment.  As a traveller you are limited in your ability to do any justice to the act.  The more I travelled and thought about it the more I realized the answer was rather simple.  I suppose the only way is to pay it forward; answer the email when it arrives, invite the next scholar into your home, give them the keys to your truck if needed and show them everything that is great about your region and your country.  

The people who have helped me along the way are too numerous to mention here but I will include everyone in my final report.  I am forever grateful to every one of you and hope to welcome you all into my home one day.  


If you have been following my travels and ever thought a pang of jealously or envy (come on now, I know you have) apply for a Nuffield.  Anything is possible.  Applications are due April 30th each year, start thinking and planning now.  This time next year this could be you.  Visit www.nuffieldcanada.ca for more information or contact me directly. 

Twitter/Instagram:  @CherylHazenberg
Email:  cheryl.hazenberg@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment